Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Back to the grind!

I only took a few days off of work, but my schedule shifted enough to where my conference call schedule was thrown off. So this week has been spent catching up and getting back into the normal routine. I am somewhat relieved to be back in the swing of things, but it is extremely hard talking to families for the first time. Since I was so far along all of my families knew that I was pregnant so I did have to address the issue when we lost the baby. Many of them have shared some of their own heartbreaking stories and it just reminds me of how much of a miracle Brooks is.

I have decided that I am going to write a book on things not to say to someone who has just lost their baby. Here are some of the examples of what I will include. . . (Yes, I have heard all of these.)

1. It is for the better because the baby wasn't healthy.
2. At least you don't have to be pregnant anymore.
3. Luckily you didn't carry all the way to term and then lose the baby.
4. You just have to move on.
5. You can always have another one.

I could go on and on. If you are talking with a woman who just lost their baby, please just say, "I am sorry for your loss. Is there anything you need?" That is all she needs to hear.

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my baby on my lap and told her about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold her on your lap and tell her about me?"

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I had to fix my comment. I just wanted to say that I'm still praying for you guys. That prayer at the end of your post is just amazing.

Barb said...

Thinking of you Meg. I sent on the prayer at the bottom to a friend for her sister.